The NHT is helping to make revenue collection easier in collaboration with the Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ), and National Insurance Scheme (NIS) through the SO2 form. We have some tips to help you use the new form. Also, are you planning to buy your home this year? We have some great tips for you to consider.
AMALGAMATED EMPLOYER'S ANNUAL RETURN (S02) -ONE FORM FOR EMPLOYER’S ANNUAL RETURN
In keeping with a government initiative to simplify the filing of Annual Returns, as of January 9, 2012 all employers must submit their returns for Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ), the National Housing Trust (NHT) and the National Insurance Scheme (NIS) on a single Employer’s Annual Return (S02) Form. [New Form].
Old annual returns
Please note that the SO2 form is to be used only for Annual Returns for 2011 onwards. Outstanding NHT Annual Returns for years prior to 2011, must be submitted directly to the NHT on the old Annual Return form. [Old Form]
Tips on how to use the SO2 form for 2011 and onwards
Here are some tips on how to file the NHT Employer Annual Return on the new SO2 form:
- •Access the form online at www.jamaicatax-online.gov.jm. Or You may ask for a printed form at any NHT office, Tax office, or Revenue Service Centre.
- •Print and fill out the electronic version of the form.
- •Then submit the completed form to any NHT office, Tax Administration of Jamaica (TAJ) Office or Revenue Service Centre.
- Please note that photocopied forms will not be accepted.
- •Complete all sections of the form, paying special attention to the registered address of the business, the company’s reference number and the return year.
- •Ensure that the NIS numbers and TRN for all employees are filled in.
- The form will not be accepted if any of this information is missing.
- •Write out employees’ names in full, for example: John M. Doe NOT J. Doe.
Quick Tips for House Shopping
Apart from tips about annual returns, if you are you planning to buy a home soon, here are some great tips you should consider before you make the single most important investment decision of your life.
1. Shop around. Start with reading the classifieds, visiting open houses and calling up realtors to let them know the kind of house in which you are interested. Shopping around for a house can be exciting, but can also be equally challenging. You may not necessarily find the house you want immediately. In fact, even if you identify one that you really love, you should be sure to look at others within the same price range and/or within similar communities. Otherwise, you may later realize that much better options were available and regret any hurried decision made.
2. Check the NHT and other housing related websites. If you are interested in buying a property being sold through private treaty, you may visit the NHT’s website to view such properties. Feel free to visit other websites, which contain real estate listings, to expand your options in finding the right place. You may visit the NHT website at: www.nht.gov.jm
CALL CENTRE NOW OFFERING LIVE HELP VIA THE NHT WEBSITE
The NHT now offers a Live Help Support system which takes the format of a web chat with its team of Customer Care agents. Live support can be accessed via the NHT corporate website during office opening hours by users locally as well as those overseas.
For more information about this and other NHT activities and programmes, visit our website at www.nht.gov.jm